Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mentee

I was really nervous to meet my mentee.  The main reason I was nervous was because I didn't know what role I was a going to have in her life. I don't like having uncertainty in my life. I prefer to have a prediction of the possible outcome. But at the same time of the nervousness I was thrilled to know I would influence her.
The second trip to Family Matters I was a bit disappointed because my mentee was had a doctor’s appointment. But at the same time I was
excited to know that I would not be paired up with another mentor and their mentee. Instead, I got assigned to Alexis, a 5th grade boy. I really enjoyed working him. At first he was hesitant to complete his homework because he wanted to go play a game. We finished one side of the worksheet that was due, but because he kept telling me "jokes" I didn't know whether to believe him when he said that the other side of the worksheet wasn't due. Being worried that it was homework and he just didn't
want to do it, I encouraged him to complete it so he could compare his answers and make sure he was doing it correctly. I was surprised to see he was just as eager to learn about me as I was of him. We got to know each other by playing two truths and one lie, which he seemed to enjoy.

My mentoring style that I got after taking the assessment was advisory.  This was surprising to me because I tend to second-guess myself and I wouldn't want someone who second-guesses on his or her own choices to give me advice. I think active listening with a little bit of advising best reflects my mentoring style. I think listening to someone is just as, if not more important than giving advice. If I don’t feel comfortable with giving advice I would direct them to someone or a resource that could help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment